Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Roasted Brussels Sprout Soup



Thanksgiving is only 9 days away and all I can think about is pumpkin pie. Even though the holiday is non-existent here in Germany (there is Erntedankfest, which is a day meant to give thanks to nature's bounty), it's not hard to convince people to gather around a table full of delicious food and enjoy each other's company. My parents would always wake up early the morning of and start preparing food while the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade aired in the background.

One of my favorite dishes on the table was always brussels sprouts. Growing up, I never understood why some people didn't like them because I always thought they were scrumdiliumcious! I love mine roasted with garlic and a bit of salt. The moment they come out of the oven I go to town on those bad boys. So of course I'm including a recipe on my blog! And to take it a step further, I thought I'd make a soup of it because who doesn't love to warm up with a nice bowl of soup?

Roasted Brussel Sprout Soup
Serves 6

Ingredients
1 1/2 lb (750 gr.) brussels sprouts
2 tbsp olive oil + 1 tbsp for sautéing
------------------------
3 cups chopped leek
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 1/2 cups of water
1 1/2 cups of vegan heavy cream (I used oat cream)
1/2 tsp thyme
1 tsp dried parsley
2 tbsp maple syrup
salt & pepper
chopped hazelnuts for garnish

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F or 200 C. Cut off the brown ends of the brussels sprouts and remove any yellow outer leaves before halving them. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and pour the brussels sprouts onto the sheet. Drizzle the 2 tbsp of olive oil on top and massage them until they're evenly coated (fastest way is to get your hands dirty!) Pop them into the oven for 35-40 minutes.
In the last 10 minutes of roasting, prepare your leek and garlic. Put a soup pot over medium high heat and add 1 tbsp olive oil. Add the leek and garlic and sauté for 3-4 minutes (until the leek is tender). Add the roasted brussels sprouts and water, then bring the heat down to low. Cover the pot and let it simmer for 10 minutes. Mix in the vegan cream, then cover and let it sit for an additional 10 minutes before adding the thyme, parsley, salt, pepper, and maple syrup. Puree with an immersion blender. Serve with chopped hazelnuts and enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment