Thursday, June 26, 2014

Zur Alten Flöte (Hamburg) Restaurant Review

Hey guys, remember a little while ago, I was in Hamburg? While we were there, I dragged Oli to a Portuguese restaurant. I did a bit of research and learned that Portuguese cuisine is quite popular there. I cultivated a list of some pretty popular places and we eventually ended up at Zur Alten Flöte, walking distance from Hamburg Hauptbahnhof (central station).



I apologize in advance for the shotty lighting. I was on and off on flash. I decided without flash, the shots were too yellow and with flash, the contrast was too stark. Oh well.



I'll start off by saying the place was EMPTY albeit an Englishman sitting two seats to my right. Otherwise, no action. There were a couple of "Reserved" tags on the tables, so despite it being a Friday night, maybe we were just there early.

The only negative aspect of this review is the interior of the restaurant. I like wooden and non-flashy designs but the layout was just kind of scattered (the random cramped counter in the front, the opening to the bathroom also connects the bar to the kitchen and it was somehow distracting). I also didn't like the tablecloths.



Service was friendly. The waiter was Portuguese, spoke German and English, and was polite.




The food was super! I had a mixed seafood plate. The variety was nice and everything was grilled and seasoned well. I also really love garlic, which seemed to be a star ingredient. I probably enjoyed the tuna steak and squid the most.
Oli ordered a pork dish of some sort which was tasty as well. I believe it was in some kind of olive-y, soy-ish sauce. Don't quote me on it but it was delicious none the less.

We also ordered two port wines and a coke for Oli (bread basket and starter salad come with the meals). I would say for the portion and quality, it's worth the money. If you're a super saver whose used to Berlin prices, maybe it's not the cheapest. But seriously, for the amount of yummy seafood entering your belly, you won't regret it.

Zur Alten Flöte
Koppel 6
20099 Hamburg

2 comments:

  1. Hey, I'm coming to Berlin on Wednesday! Sent u a message on Skype but don't think u have seen it. Do u still have the same phone number as before? I hope u don't have any plans for that weekend because you're mine during that time ;) anyway, don't know if u still have my Swedish phone number but it's +46705267764! I'm so freakin excited!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I noticed that you have lots of yummy recipes on your page and I would like to suggest you have a look at our Top Food Blogs section here: www(dot) mytaste.com/top-food-blogs
    If you want to add your food blog for get more visit traffic to the list and have your recipes indexed on myTaste.com, all you have to do is follow the instructions here: www(dot) mytaste.com/add-your-food-blogs

    Hopefully hearing from you soon,

    Thanks,
    Sakk Tº
    info@mytaste(dot)com

    ReplyDelete