Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Hallo Leute! (Hello People!)

How are you?

I am doing well. It's quite cold in Berlin right now, and I have my bag of frozen peas sitting in the front yard. Oh Spring, please come soon.

In other news, Oliver decided recently that he was going to make puff pastry from scratch. Did he succeed? Why yes, he did!


The only thing I didn't like was how much butter there was in the recipe. I knew there would be a lot of butter, but this was too much! I could barely eat a whole one.


Speaking of firsts, here are a few more:

1. My First "Swimming Pool" Cocktail



We were at an Irish Pub and I decided what the hell, let's get a cocktail (I usually go for cheaper drinks, but we still had yet to celebrate my newly acquired job). Tastes similar to a piƱa colada. It lasted me the whole night.

2. My First Try at Dumplings


I love dumplings, but have not had any since I came to Berlin (I have not seen them anywhere for some reason). Because I've been trying to avoid gluten products and also have a knack for transforming food into vegan delights, I made vegan and gluten free dumplings! They were YUM! I swapped ground meat for these Soy Protein flakes and added boy choy, carrots, onions, and mushrooms. The dough was just corn flour (the gluten free flour we had was corn so I just used that), corn starch, oil, and water. I really recommend going gluten free for the dumpling dough actually, because it gives it a nice texture.

3. My First Wasabi Cheese



That green roll of cheese right thar be the Wasabi cheese. I found it at Galeria Kaufhof in Alexander Platz and decided it had to come home with me. It's definitely a spicy one! I had it with some scrambled eggs (which was mixed with leftover dumpling filling) and a light salad. Quite a filling breakfast!

I don't know if anyone noticed but I also changed the banner. I'm finally pretty satisfied with it! Well, now I need to go make some apple compote, so until next time! Ciao! 

1 comment:

  1. Nice! I'm intrigued that the oven slides out instead of opening up like a clam. Congrats on your new job!!
    I also saw wasabi cheese in Vienna before I flew back to the UK. But didn't buy it...

    ReplyDelete